ARQ is a 2016 American science fiction film directed by Tony Elliott.  It was selected to be screened in the Discovery section at the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival .  The movie Was released one Netflix worldwide on September 16, 2016.  Robbie Amell plays an engineer Whose invention causes time to loop During a home invasion. He attempts to save his former lover, played by Rachael Taylor , while learning who has targeted him and why.
Renton wakes up with his lover, Hannah. Three men break into his bedroom and take him hostage. Renton breaks his neck while escaping and wakes with a start, only for the men to break in once again. He and Hannah are taken to another room and bound to chairs. The leader of the group introduces himself as Father, identifying the others as Sonny and Brother; Cuz died of electrocution after touching a large device, the ARQ, in the room. Renton surrender money, or “scrips”, from their rival organization, the Torus Corporation. He gives them several minutes to comply and leaves the room with the others to get food.
Renton explains to Hannah the ARQ is a working perpetual motion machine he designed at Torus. After Torus shut down the project as an impossibility, he stole it. Renton believes the Bloc members to be after the ARQ rather than the scrips, though Hannah urges him to comply with their demands. After freeing himself and Hannah, he is killed while trying to escape. Renton wakes up gasping, only to relive the same scenario. This time, after freeing himself, he asks Hannah to help poison the intruders with cyanide gas. This fails when Hannah reveals herself as allied with them. Renton surrenders the scrips, only to be killed again after Sonny shoots him.
After reviving, Renton questions Hannah about her past. She says she grew to resent Renton after he abandoned her to Torus, who tortured her. Renton says he never gave up for her after he escaped. Though he does not trust Hannah, Renton frees her. They work out a deal where they will split the scrips after using the cyanide gas to force Father and his group to stand down. Renton reneges on the deal, demanding that Hannah abandon the Bloc and come with him. She refuses and accidentally shoots Renton during a scuffle. Renton and Hannah wake in bed; This time, both recall the events. When Renton says the ARQ is causing a time loop , Hannah insists he give the technology to the Bloc. Eventually, Sonny reveals himself as a Torus mercenary and kills everyone.
When they wake, Renton and Hannah agree they must keep the ARQ from Torus, though Renton expresses distrust in the Bloc. They convince Father to help them, but Sonny shoots Father and knocks Brother unconscious. After killing Sonny, Renton. He dies after Brother shoots him, not realizing Sonny is responsible. The next iteration, Sonny becomes aware of the time loop and immediately kills Father and Brother. Renton theorizes the ARQ is looping the same three-hour period due to running out of energy. Instead of producing unlimited energy, its fuel cells are refilled after every loop. When Sonny overpowers them, Renton sacrifices himself to prevent Sonny from acquiring the ARQ.
In the next iteration, Sonny saves Cuz’s life, then kills Father and Brother. Renton and Hannah poison Sonny and Cuz with the cyanide. Before dying, Sonny uses the pool of blood from every other corpse (including Cuz, which he kills) to set up a trap. After arguing to destroy the machine, Hannah is electrocuted when she accidentally steps on Sonny’s trap. Renton briefly considers destroying the ARQ but allows the next iteration to begin. He admits he was wrong and offered the ARQ to the Bloc. Father, who is now aware of the time loop, and Brother agrees to work with Hannah and Renton; However, Sonny and Cuz take all hostage. After Sonny forces Renton to disable the machine, Father and Brother die in the confusion of a blackout. Renton and Hannah is a great place to stay.
After they kill Cuz, revealed to be tortured for Torus, Sonny restarts the ARQ, only to be killed. An interrupted video message and the ARQ’s logs reveal a second, outer time loop: every nine loops form their own loop in which their memories are reset. Unknowingly, they have repeated the same nine loops of times. Realizing they are on their ninth loop, Renton and Hannah leave a desperate message to themselves, hoping future iterations can get the ARQ to the Block before Torus’ reinforcements happens. After a robot breaks through and kills them, Hannah wakes with a gasp.
- Robbie Amell as Renton
- Rachael Taylor as Hannah / Mother
- Shaun Benson as Sonny
- Gray Powell as Grimm / Father
- Jacob Neayem as Brother
- Adam Butcher as Cuz
- Tantoo Cardinal as The Pope
- Nicolas Van Burek as News Anchor
- Jamie Spilchuk as Mobius Common
The concept dates back to 2008, prior to writer-director Tony Elliot’s work on the television series Orphan Black ; The show’s creators hired him on his unproduced script. The script had been optioned but remained in development hell for years. After the rights reverted to Elliott, Netflix contacted his producer and offered to produce it.  In January 2016, it was announced that Netflix would produce and distribute the film. Mason Novick , John Finemore, Kyle Franke, and Nick Spicer produced the film under their Lost City and XYZ Films banner.  That same month, Robbie Amell and Rachael Taylor had been cast in the film.  Shooting took place in Toronto over 19 days. Elliott quoted the budget at “under $ 2 million”. 
The film had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 9, 2016.  The film was released on September 16, 2016. 
John DeFore of The Hollywood Reporter called it a “tricky little time twister that makes the most of its limited resources”, comparing it to Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow in its concept. DeFore wrote that the movie throws many new wrinkles into its looping plot, causing viewers to eventually stop trying to predict characters’ actions. Of the film’s climax, DeFore said, “Amazingly, given how many times-travel pix collapse in a tangle of logic around this point, ARQ knows how to wrap its paradoxes up in a way we can hardly criticize.” 
- Jump up^ “Robbie Amell, Rachael Taylor to Star in Netflix Sci-Fi Thriller ‘ARQ ‘ ” . The Hollywood Reporter . September 5, 2016 . Retrieved September 5, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “ARQ” . TIFF . September 5, 2016 . Retrieved September 5,2016 .
- Jump up^ “Netflix’s latest original movie ‘ARQ looks like an epic sci-fi thriller” . Business Insider . September 1, 2016 . Retrieved September 7, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Prince, CJ “TIFF 2016: Interview with Tony Elliott for ARQ” . WeLiveEntertainment.com . Retrieved September 18, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Jafaar, Ali (January 20, 2016). “Netflix Expands Global Indie Strategy With Slate Of New Features” . Deadline.com . Retrieved September 12, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Kit, Borys (January 20, 2016). “Robbie Amell, Rachael Taylor to Star in Netflix Sci-Fi Thriller ‘ARQ’ (Exclusive)” . The Hollywood Reporter . Retrieved September 12, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Macaulay, Scott (September 9, 2016). “TIFF 2016: Five Questions for ARQ Writer / Director Tony Elliott” . Filmmaker . Retrieved September 18, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “ARQ” . Toronto International Film Festival . Retrieved September 12, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Evry, Max (September 1, 2016). “Robbie Amell in Netflix’s ARQ Trailer & Key Art” . Coming Soon . Retrieved September 12,2016 .
- Jump up^ DeFore, John (September 10, 2016). ” ‘ ARQ’: Film Review | TIFF 2016″ . The Hollywood Reporter . Retrieved September 18, 2016 .