Mad Dogs is a dark-comic thriller television series available for viewing on Amazon’s Amazon Prime subscription service.  It is a partial remake of the British show, also named Mad Dogs , that aired from 2011 to 2013. 
The show’s first season consisted of 10 episodes,  expanding on the British version’s first season’s four hours of content.  It begins to air on January 22, 2016 in the US, UK, and Germany,  with an early release of the show available in December 2015. 
The plot is a “cocktail of testosterone and bad decision-making”,  focused on the angst of a group of 40-something underachieving American men who become caught in a “vacation from hell”.   
The cast is a single blend of movie actors with mostly episodic television credits to Their name,  Including Billy Zane as a man wealthy from underworld Who prompts connections His friends for a stay in Belize, Michael Imperioli as an irresponsible but good-hearted train traveling musician, Romany Malco as a family man, and Ben Chaplin (who starred in the role Zane in the UK Version of the show) as an embittered teacher.    The show’s female cast, including Allison Tolman and María Botto (reprising her role from the UK series), provide contrast to the male leads.   
Showrunner Cris Cole adapted the show from his own drama in the UK.  It was originally under development at the FX network .  Cole noted that because the American version is 10 hours to the British version, the last six hours of the American version are “virgin territory” and have no comparative to the original. 
Rights to air the show were sold by Sony Pictures Television for more than 140 countries prior to the initial Amazon airing. 
In late February 2016, Amazon announced that it had opted not to renew the series.  Although the original intention had been for the show to be a 10 episode limited series, Amazon and the show leadership had broached the idea of a second season. 
During filming of scenes of the pilot episode in Puerto Rico , actor Steve Zahn contracted dengue fever . 
- Ben Chaplin as Joel
- Michael Imperioli as Lex
- Romany Malco as Gus
- Steve Zahn as Cobi
- Phil Davis as Lawrence, a local crime boss
- Mark Povinelli as The Cat, a hitman
- Rachael Holmes as Erica, a local pharmacy worker
- Maria Botto as Sophia Moreno, a local police woman
- Coby Bell as Aaron, a CIA agent
- Allison Tolman as an employee at the Embassy of the United States in Belize
- Billy Zane as Milo
- Ted Levine as Conrad Tull, an FBI agent
- Sutton Foster as Gerda
The show earned mostly positive reviews and anecdotal evidence pointed to solid early viewership.  Critics have praised the cinematography of Belize in the “blue sky”  show as “gorgeous.”   The show garnered positive reviews
Critics note that the show wanders during its formulaic middle episodes of the season is best as interpersonal conflicts are the focus.       ReferencesReferences 
|No.||title||Directed by||Written by||Release date|
|1||“Pilot”||Charles McDougall||Cris Cole||January 15, 2015|
|2||“Xtabai”||Alex Graves||Shawn Ryan||January 22, 2016|
|3||“Well”||Randall Einhorn||Cris Cole||January 22, 2016|
|4||“Flares”||Clark Johnson||Brett C. Leonard & Cris Cole||January 22, 2016|
|5||“Hat”||Uta Briesewitz||Eileen Myers||January 22, 2016|
|6||“Leslie”||Craig Zisk||Michael C. Martin||January 22, 2016|
|7||“Ice Cream”||Guy Ferland||Zev Borow||January 22, 2016|
|8||“Broodstock”||Mark Piznarksi||Jon Worley||January 22, 2016|
|9||“Seahorse”||Ted Griffin||Kent Rotherham||January 22, 2016|
|10||“Needles”||John David Coles||Cris Cole||January 22, 2016|
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h Poniewozik, James (January 20, 2016). “Review: On ‘Mad Dogs,’ an Amazon Series, Male Bellicosity Rules . New York Times .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Lloyd, Robert (January 21, 2016). “Amazon’s Mad Dogs is a repetitious story of unhappy middle-age men behaving badly” . Los Angeles Times .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Bianco, Robert (January 11, 2016). ” ‘ Mad Dogs’ and Amazon go into the Belize sun” . USA Today .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Barraclough, Leo (January 21, 2016). “Sony Pictures Television Shows US Drama ‘Mad Dogs’ to More Than 140 Countries” . Variety .
- Jump up^ Lincoln, Ross A. (December 9, 2015). “Amazon Sets ‘Mad Dogs’ Premiere For January” . Deadline.com .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Dornbush, Jonathan (January 22, 2016). “Mad Dogs” . Entertainment Weekly .
- Jump up^ Venable, Nick (January 18, 2016). “The 3 Best New Amazon Pilots, And Why You Should Be Watching” . CinemaBlend .
- Jump up^ Stanhope, Kate (February 28, 2016). “Amazon’s ‘Mad Dogs’ Canceled After One Season, EP Shawn Ryan Says” . The Hollywood Reporter .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Andreeva, Nellie (February 28, 2016). “‘Mad Dogs’ Ends Run On Amazon: No Season 2 “ . Deadline.com .
- Jump up^ Nededog, Jethro (January 12, 2016). “Steve Zahn caught a potentially deadly fever while shooting Amazon series ‘Mad Dogs ‘ ” . Business Insider .
- Jump up^ Andreeva, Nellie (2016-02-28). “‘Mad Dogs’ Ends Run On Amazon: No Season 2” . Deadline . Retrieved 2016-05-23 .