Anne (titled Anne with an E are Netflix ) is a Canadian television series based on the 1908 novel Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery , and adapted byEmmy Award -winning writer and producer Moira Walley-Beckett .  It airs on CBC in Canada, and elsewhere in the world it is available for streaming on Netflix.  The first season consists of seven episodes, with Niki Caro directing the two-hour premiere.  The series premiered on March 19, 2017 on CBC and concluded on April 30, 2017. 
- Amybeth McNulty as Anne Shirley 
- Geraldine James as Marilla Cuthbert 
- RH Thomson as Matthew Cuthbert 
- Lucas Jade Zumann as Gilbert Blythe 
- Dalila Bela as Diana Barry 
- Corinne Koslo as Rachel Lynde 
- Aymeric Jett Montaz as Jerry Baynard 
According to executive producer Miranda de Pencier , this adaptation of the novel has a different look and feel to past productions, aiming for a “documentary level of realism”, as reflected in the extraordinary detail which has gone into the design of sets and costumes. 
Besides the show, the series has many female directors. 
Approximately 1800 girls on three continents auditioned for the role of Anne Shirley. Amybeth McNulty was chosen for her ability to deliver dialogue which is incredibly thick and dynamic and beautiful, according to Miranda de Pencier. Showrunner and scriptwriter Moira Walley-Beckett describes her as “luminous, transparent, smart, soulful and emotional. 
The series is filmed partially in Prince Edward Island as well as locations in Southern Ontario (including Millbrook  and Caledon ). 
The opening theme is the song ” Ahead by a Century ” performed and originally composed by Canadian band The Tragically Hip . 
Moira Walley-Beckett: “In this day and age, themes of identity, prejudice, bullying, being an outsider, searching for a way to be accepted and how to belong Anne Shirley “accidental feminist “, and how she “really wanted to tell this story now.” 
Broadcast and release
The series initially premiered on March 19, 2017 on CBC and aired on a weekly basis, concluding on April 30, 2017.
The series debuted Netflix is on May 12, 2017 under the name Anne with an E .  
|No.||title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Can. Viewers
|1||“Your Will Shall Decide Your Destiny”||Niki Caro||Moira Walley-Beckett||March 19, 2017||0.999 |
|When a miscommunication brings a girl, Anne Shirley, to Green Gables instead of a boy, Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert are faced with a life-changing decision.|
|2||“I Am No Bird, and No Net Ensnares Me”||Helen Shaver||Moira Walley-Beckett||March 26, 2017||0.780 |
|Hoping all is not lost, Matthew races to catch up with Anne while Marilla anxiously hopes and waits for their return to Green Gables.|
|3||“But What Is So Headstrong as Youth?”||Sandra Goldbacher||Moira Walley-Beckett||April 2, 2017||0.994 |
|Anne is excited to begin school and make friends, but is unprepared for the bullying that comes when she does not fit in. Marilla too, is testing new waters as she accepts an invitation to join a “Progressive Mothers” group.|
|4||“An Inward Treasure is Born”||David Evans||Moira Walley-Beckett||April 9, 2017||0.654 |
|Anne is faced with the decision of whether or not to return to school. Gillis House and Anne’s generous actions help her in her choice.|
|5||“Tightly Knotted to a Similar String”||Patricia Rozema||Moira Walley-Beckett||April 16, 2017||N / A|
|Anne must deal with the inevitability of womanhood when she gets her first period . At the same time, Marilla and Matthew acclimatize to parenthood and revisit moments of their youth through Anne.|
|6||“Remorse Is the Poison of Life”||Paul Fox||Moira Walley-Beckett||April 23, 2017||0.656 |
|When her little sister becomes ill, Diana runs to Anne for help. Meanwhile, the Blythe farm sees change, as Marilla is reminded of what she gave up and Matthew receives some unsettling news.|
|7||“Wherever You Are Is My Home”||Amanda Tapping||Moira Walley-Beckett||April 30, 2017||N / A|
|The Cuthberts are the best of all.|
The series has achieved a rating of 87% on Rotten Tomatoes , the site’s critical consensus stating: ” Anne with an e uses its complex central character to offer a boldly stylish, emotionally resonant spin on classic source material that satisfies in its own right.  The series has a rating of 79 on Metacritic based on 15 reviews, indicating “favorable reviews”.  Most reviewers have been women.
Emily Ashby, writing for Common Sense Media , calls the series an “exceptional” and “spectacular” interpretation, giving it four out of five stars.  Tasha Cerny, Contributor for the Tracking Board, praises the cinematography as lush and colorful, the vibrating characters, and the plot. “I am surprisingly thrilling for a story about a young girl living in a small secluded community in the late nineteenth century. Laughed, I cried, and I did not expect either from a show about a little girl. ”  Gwen Inhat of the AV Club , calls the series “at once darker and sweeter than the original” novel, praising the core cast, reserving the highest for the series lead: Amybeth McNulty is an amateur singer and songwriter.  Writing of the 90-minute premiere episode for the first time for the first time Toronto Star , Johanna Schneller was appreciative of Walley-Beckett’s departure from the novel, bringing its subtext to the fore: “Reading between the novels lines and adding verisimilitude , she gives us quick but potent glimpses of the miseries many orphans faced in 1890s imperialist culture . ” Hahn Nguyen, Reviewing the series for IndieWire , concurs with this assessment, saying: “Rather than ruining the series, they give the context for why it would be gratitude for the beauties of nature, basic human decency and having a family to call her own. Montgomery had a lot of Anne’s need to escape into imagination on her own lonely childhood, and her stories have always had an underlying poignancy that made them all the sweeter. ”  Jen Chaney, writing for Vulture.com , agrees, saying: “What is it from other previous? -related or not, can be inclined to avoid. ”  The Neil Genzlinger , writing for the New York Times , commenting on reports of darkness and grittiness, goes so far as to call the adaptation “richer” than the source material: “Ms McNulty’s Anne is still wonderfully ebullient and eminently likable, she’s just not the one-dimensional figure of other adaptations. ”  Annie Hirschlag, writing for Mic , suggests that a genuinely contemporary Anne is bound to reflect the current television landscape and wider culture of its times (the 2010s): “Since today’s entertainment is peppered with antiheroes – ,
Some reviewers were more ambivalent, especially about Walley-Beckett’s changes to the story. Canadian novelist Saleema Nawaz , who has appeared on the 90-minute premiere of “The Life of Toronto” , has been nominated for Best Actress by McNulty and Thomson. Theme song as reflective of the continued relevance of the source material. Matthew’s Wild Horse Ride “. This is the first time I have ever seen a horse in my life. Writing for Entertainment Weekly , Isabella Beidenharn expressed similar feelings, purpose, putting the source material aside, it’s a fine show on icts own “, and she conceded That” inventing a dark side might help Anne With an E made into today’s TV landscape. ”  Allison Keene, writing for Collider , Chartered That Anne is a good drama is icts own terms, Allows purpose it is “only a fair adaptation” of the novel, at its best in the home scenes: ” Anne with an E is undeniably The Most stylish adaptation we’ve ever seen of Anne of Green Gables . Montgomery’s Story. ”  Writing for Variety , ed . Critic Sonia Saraiya is one of the most famous and most influential artists in the world. Anne’s dysfunction “, presenting” a slightly soapy view of Anne’s trials and tribulations that are at the time really humanize her In others, are rather infantilizing “. 
Sarah Larson, writing for The New Yorker , was the least impressed with changes made to the story, arguing that they alter Anne’s character to the point of non-recognition. While she is a woman, she is the only one who does not know what to do with her. A “betrayal” of Montgomery ‘s novel, comparing the treatment unfavourably to Patricia Rozema ‘ s 1999 adaptation of Jane Austen ‘s Mansfield Park . 
- Jump up^ “Anne of Green Gables set for new life on CBC-TV” . CBC.ca . Retrieved March 28, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Netflix Boards CBC’s ‘Anne Of Green Gables’ Adaptation, Niki Caro To Helm Premiere” . Deadline . August 22, 2016.
- Jump up^ Katie Rogers. “Oh, Gilbert!” Anne of Green Gables’ Is Coming to Netflix ” . New York Times . Retrieved August 23, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Anne” . CBC.ca . Retrieved March 10, 2017 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Netflix’s ‘Anne of Green Gables’ Adaptation Finds Its Anne Shirley, Casts 2 Other Roles” . Deadline . October 21, 2016.
- Jump up^ “Maureen McCormick To Guest In The Guest Book” Lucas Jade Zumann Joins ‘Anne’ ” . Deadline.com . Retrieved November 18,2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Netflix’s ‘Anne of Green Gables’ Adapted Adds Three To Cast” . Deadline.com . Retrieved November 21, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Hunt, Nigel (March 19, 2017). ‘ ‘ Is not your grandmother’s Anne ‘: new series gives gritty Green Gables amid glut of Anne adaptations . CBC News . Retrieved 4 June 2017 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Ahearn, Victoria (March 16, 2017). “VIDEO: CBC’s ‘Anne’ shows darker past of ‘accidental feminist’ from Green Gables . Chronicle Herald . Canadian Press . Retrieved 4 June 2017 .
- Jump up^ Anderson, Lance (8 November 2016). “New series based on Anne of Green Gables filmed in Millbrook on Tuesday – MyKawartha.com” .
- Jump up^ Fraser, Sara (November 28, 2016). “Behind the scenes on the newest Anne of Green Gables series” . CBC News . Retrieved April 4, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Get Red-dy! Netflix’s ‘Anne’ Now Has a Release Date” . EW.com . Retrieved February 8, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Anne with an E Netflix” . Www.netflix.com . Retrieved 2017-04-20 .
- Jump up^ “Top Programs – Total Canada (English) March 13, 2017 – March 19, 2017” (PDF) . Numeris .
- Jump up^ Brioux, Bill [BillBriouxTV] (March 31, 2017). “LAST SUN o’nites CBC Heartland 859k Anne 780k Story of Us 745k CTV Saving Hope 665k GLO NCIS: LA 1127k SNet NHL Van-Peg 473k”(Tweet) – via Twitter .
- Jump up^ “Top Programs – Total Canada (English) March 27, 2017 – April 2, 2017” (PDF) . Numeris .
- Jump up^ Brioux, Bill [BillBriouxTV] (April 10, 2017). “SUN onites SNET NHL TOR-COL 1181k VAN – EDM 766k TSN CURL 1026k GLO NCISLA 1Mk CBC ANNE 654k STORY US 546k CITY SHOTS 623k CTV SAVE HOPE 548k” (Tweet) – via Twitter .
- Jump up^ Brioux, Bill [BillBriouxTV] (April 24, 2017). “SJN o’nites SNet NHL TOR-WASH Game 6 3467k OTT-BOS 1284k OMNI2 TOR-WASH 121k CTV SAVE HOPE 686K CBC ANNE 656K STORY OF US 450K” (Tweet) – via Twitter .
- Jump up^ “Anne with an E (2017 -)” . Rotten Tomatoes . Retrieved 31 May 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Anne with an E: Season 1” . Metacritic . Retrieved 17 June2017 .
- Jump up^ Ashby, Emily. “Anne with an E” . Common Sense Media . Retrieved 17 June 2017 .
- Jump up^ Cerny, Tasha. “ANNE WITH AN E Review:” Episodes 1-3 ” ” . Www.thetrackingboard.com . Retrieved 18 June 2017 .
- Jump up^ Inhat, Gwen. “Anne With An E offers a winning, darker take on a familiar tale” . AV Club . Retrieved 18 June 2017 .
- Jump up^ Schneller, Johanna (March 20, 2017). “This Anne of Green Gables hints at miseries: What I’m Watching”. Toronto Star .
- Jump up^ Nguyen, Hahn. Anne with an E ‘Review: A’ Breaking Bad ‘Producer Updates’ Anne of Green Gables’ for Our Darker Times . IndieWire . Retrieved 17 June 2017 .
- Jump up^ Chaney, Jen. “Anne of Green Gables Fans, You Will Love Netflix’s Anne With An E” . Vulture.com . New York Magazine . Retrieved 17 June 2017 .
- Jump up^ Genzlinger, Neil (May 11, 2017). “Review: ‘Anne with an E’ Is a Rewarding Return to Green Gables’ . New York Times . Retrieved 17 June 2017 .
- Jump up^ Hirschlag, Annie. ” ‘ Anne with an E’ Review: The Neflix Adpatation Hits the Nostalgia Button and More.” . Mic.com . Mic (Media Company) . Retrieved 17 June 2017 .
- Jump up^ Nawaz, Saleema (March 21, 2017). “We asked Anne of Green Gables to review the first episode of CBC’s new TV series . “Toronto Life . Retrieved 4 June 2017 .
- Jump up^ Beidenharn, Isabella (May 15, 2017). “Anne With an E: EW review Avonlea you may have grown up with” . Entertainment Weekly . Retrieved 17 June 2017 .
- Jump up^ Keene, Allison. “‘Anne with an E’ Review: Netflix’s Green Gables Adaptation Has Grit” . Collider . Retrieved 16 June 2017 .
- Jump up^ Saraiya, Sonia (May 11, 2017). “TV Review: ‘Anne with an E,’ Based on the Book ‘Anne of Green Gables'” . Variety . Retrieved 18 June 2017 .
- Jump up^ Larson, Sarah (May 11, 2017). “How Not to Adapt” Anne of Green Gables ” “. The New Yorker .