Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency is a BBC-based comedy science fiction detective series , taking place after the Douglas Adams novel series of the same name. Created and written by Max Landis , it stars Samuel Barnett as the detective Dirk Gently and Elijah Wood as his reluctant sidekick Todd. A trailer for the series debuted atSan Diego Comic Con 2016. 
The series is a co-production between BBC America and Netflix , with episodes beginning airing on BBC America in the United States on October 22, 2016, and all episodes available to stream on Netflix worldwide from the United States on December 11, 2016.   The first season was filmed almost entirely in Vancouver, British Columbia .
On November 21, 2016, BBC America renewed the series for a 10-episode second season set to premiere October 22nd, 2017. 
The pilot episode introduces the bellboy Todd Brotzman ( Elijah Wood ), as he is encounters the millionaire Patrick Spring, and meets the eccentric Dirk Gently ( Samuel Barnett ), introducing himself as a “holistic detective” investigating the murder.
The first season follows the odd pairing, with Todd serving as Dirk’s reluctant sidekick, as they get to know each other while digging into the Spring murder investigation. As the story evolves during the season, it grows to include the disappearance of Spring’s daughter Lydia, the secrets of the Spring family, hidden government operations, and a holistic assassin looking to kill Dirk.
- Samuel Barnett as Dirk Gently , an eccentric “holistic” detective, who understands everything in the universe to be interconnected. He does not solve cases, but rather by following fate. It is revealed that it was part of a government organization studying people with ‘special’ abilities, as he is mildly psychic. He carries himself as excitable and optimistic, as a mask over his own loneliness and insecurity.
- Elijah Wood as Todd Brotzman, Dirk’s reluctant sidekick / assistant. A bellhop who spends all his money to help his sister Amanda afford her Pararibulitis treatment, a disease which he was previously cured of. It is later revealed he lied about ever having it, and lived a pattern of deceit and theft, and now has attempted to reverse his guilt by taking care of his sister.
- Hannah Marks as Amanda Brotzman, Todd’s sister who suffers from the fictional illness, Pararibulitis, which is hereditary and causes her to suffer vivid and painful hallucinations.  Amanda later joins the Rowdy 3, who help her manage her hallucinations.
- Jade Eshete as Farah Black, an efficient and tough security officer with OCD. After her millionaire boss is killed and his daughter kidnapped, Farah is determined to solve the case alongside Dirk and Todd. She makes every attempt to keep the group safe, even if she is not so sure she is capable of doing so.
- Fiona Dourif as Bart Curlish, a “holistic” assassin who feels that the universe leads her to people she has to kill. She claims that the universe will not allow her to die. She feels that she is kill Dirk, not knowing who he is. She and Dirk are intended to be as mirrors of each other, even though they have never met, either saying or hearing similar lines of dialogue in their respective lives. Despite her death, Bart is innocent and childlike. 
- Mpho Koaho as Ken, an electrician as Bart kidnaps and forces to travel with her. While most of his recent work has been criminal in nature, he admits it is just due to his desperation for a paycheck, and is afraid of any excitement. 
- Michael Eklund as Martin, the leader of an anarchist group called the Rowdy 3. Notably, the Rowdy 3 is composed of four people, and later five, and are some of the people studied by the government organization Dirk. They were originally classified as vampires, as they live by eating emotional energy.
- Dustin Milligan as Sgt. Hugo Friedkin, a dimwitted government agent tracking Dirk. 
- Osric Chau as Vogel (season 2, recurring season 1),  the youngest member of the Rowdy 3.
- Michael Adamthwaite as Zed, a key member of the Men of the Machine.
- Christian Bako as Ed, a key member of the Men of the Machine.
- Neil Brown Jr. as Det. Estevez, a missing persons detective, and Zimmerfield’s partner. 
- Aaron Douglas as Gordon Rimmer, a desperate man obsessed with gaining power, prolonging his life, and retrieving his dog.
- Viv Leacock as Gripps, a member of the Rowdy 3.
- David Lewis as Agent Weedle, an FBI agent at odds with detectives Estevez and Zimmerfield
- Miguel Sandoval as Col. Scott Riggins, a government agent and Sgt. Friedkin’s commanding officer. 
- Zak Santiago as Cross, a member of the Rowdy 3.
- Richard Schiff as Det. Zimmerfield, a missing persons detective, and Estevez’s partner. 
- Alison Thornton as Lydia Spring, a missing heiress and daughter of the murdered Patrick Spring.
|No.||title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||US viewers
|1||“Horizons”||Dean Parisot||Max Landis||October 22, 2016||0.437 |
|A violent murder occurs at the hotel where Todd works, with unusual characters – including Dirk Gently – intruding on his hitherto mundane life.|
|2||“Lost & Found”||Dean Parisot||Max Landis||October 29, 2016||0.293 |
|Todd reluctantly works with Dirk, tries to rescue a kidnapped woman who thinks she’s a dog, but only gets the actual dog. A plan to exchange the dog for the woman goes awry.|
|3||“Rogue Wall Enthusiasts”||Michael Patrick Jann||Max Landis||November 5, 2016||0.297 |
|While digging into Spring’s past, Farah and Dirk find their first big clue; Todd learns he has no safe harbor; Amanda deals with a presence.|
|4||“Watkin”||Michael Patrick Jann||Andy Black||November 12, 2016||0.248 |
|Dirk and Todd venture into Patrick’s deathmaze and get a shock. Meanwhile, Weedle shares some unfortunate truths with Farah, and Gordon visits Lux’s old flame.|
|5||“Very Erectus”||Tamra Davis||Robert C. Cooper||November 19, 2016||0.240 |
|As Dirk and Todd embark on a hunt for Patrick Spring’s dark enigmas, Todd reveals a deep-seated secret of his own. Detectives Estevez and Zimmerfield, the Amanders of the Rowdy 3.|
|6||“Fix Everything”||Tamra Davis||Max Landis||November 26, 2016||0.198 |
|Todd tries to confess to Amanda all of her lies from the past 10 years. Dirk and Farah are ambushed by Bart and Ken on their way to secure Dr. Webb’s invention at the Spring Mansion.|
|7||“Weaponized Soul”||Paco Cabezas||Max Landis||December 3, 2016||0.307 |
|Flung backwards through time, Dirk and Todd make a horrifying discovery about the nature of their case, and find themselves with a unique opportunity: solve their case before it even starts.|
|8||“Two Sane Guys Doing Normal Things”||Paco Cabezas||Andy Black & Max Landis||December 10, 2016||0.277 |
|As dark forces converge, Dirk, Todd, Farah, and Detective Estevez are forced into a final battle: save Lydia Spring, face certain death, or both.|
The first season has a 72% approval rating based on 25 reviews on the review aggregation site Rotten Tomatoes. The site’s consensus reads “Odd and ambitious, Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency sometimes overdoses on pure weirdness but offers absurdist rewards to those who stick with it.”  On Metacritic, the first season has a score of 62 out of 100 based on 14 reviews, indicating “favorable reviews”. 
- Jump up^ Fullerton, Huw (July 24, 2016). “Doctor Who meets Sherlock in first-look Dirk Gently trailer” . Radio Times . Retrieved July 23, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Tartaglione, Nancy (2016-08-18). “Netflix Boards” Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency’s ‘Series As Co-Producer’ . Retrieved 2016-08-18 .
- Jump up^ “Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency” . Netflix Media Center . Retrieved 2016-11-02 .
- Jump up^ Petski, Denise (November 21, 2016). ” Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency ‘Renewed For Season 2 At BBC America ” . Deadline . Retrieved November 22, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Simon, Samantha (October 22, 2016). “Hannah Marks of Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency on Why Elijah Wood Is a Great Costar” . InStyle . Retrieved November 9, 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f Collis, Clark (October 18, 2016). “A guide to the crazy characters of Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency . ” Entertainment Weekly . Inc. Entertainment Weekly . Retrieved November 9, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Petski, Denise (April 4, 2017). “‘Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency’ Ups Osric Chau To Series Regular” . Deadline . Retrieved May 7, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Metcalf, Mitch (October 25, 2016). “UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY’s Top 150 Saturday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 10.22.2016” . Showbuzz Daily . Retrieved November 8, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Metcalf, Mitch (November 1, 2016). “UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY’s Top 150 Saturday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 10.29.2016” . Showbuzz Daily . Retrieved November 8, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “ShowBuzzDaily’s Top 150 Sat. Shows” . ShowBuzz Daily . Retrieved 14 November 2016 .
- Jump up^ Metcalf, Mitch (November 15, 2016). “Update: Showbuzzdaily’s Top 150 Saturday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 11.12.2016” . Showbuzzdaily .
- Jump up^ Metcalf, Mitch (November 22, 2016). “Update: Showbuzzdaily’s Top 150 Saturday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 11.19.2016” . Showbuzzdaily .
- Jump up^ Metcalf, Mitch (November 30, 2016). “Update: Showbuzzdaily’s Top 150 Saturday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 11.26.2016” . Showbuzzdaily .
- Jump up^ Metcalf, Mitch (December 6, 2016). “Update: Showbuzzdaily’s Top 150 Saturday Cable Originals and Network Finals: 12.3.2016” . Showbuzzdaily .
- Jump up^ Metcalf, Mitch (December 13, 2016). “Update: Showbuzzdaily’s Top 150 Saturday Cable Originals and Network Finals: 12.10.2016” . Showbuzzdaily .
- Jump up^ https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/dirk_gently_s_holistic_detective_agency/s01/
- Jump up^ http://www.metacritic.com/tv/dirk-gentlys-holistic-detective-agency