Between is a Canadian science fiction drama television series which debuted May 21, 2015 on City . Created by Michael McGowan , the series stars Jennette McCurdy as Wiley Day, a pregnant teenage daughter of a minister living in the small town of Pretty Lake, who is coping with a mysterious disease. The series is a co-production between City and Netflix , which distributes the series outside Canada as a Netflix Original Series .   The series was renewed for a second season on July 8, 2015, which premiered on June 30, 2016. 
Between is the story of a small town called Pretty Lake and surrounding rural area under siege from a mysterious disease that has wiped out everybody aged 22 and older. The series also explores numerous themes: the power vacuum that results when the government quarantines a 10 square mile zone and leaves the inhabitants to fend for themselves; The desire to escape the deadly disease to the entire planet; And the effect of hormonal teenage / young adult.
Cast and characters
- Jennette McCurdy as Wiley Day
- Jesse Carere as Adam Jones
- Ryan Allen as Gord
- Justin Kelly as Chuck Lott Jr.
- Kyle Mac as Ronnie Creeker
- Jack Murray as Mark
- Brooke Palsson as Melissa Day
- Stephen Bogaert as Charles Lott Sr., Chuck’s father
- Samantha Munro as Stacey
- Rick Roberts as Clarence Jones, Adam’s father
- Steven Grayhm as Liam Cullen (season 2)
- Percy Hynes White as Harrison (season 2)
- Mercedes Morris as Renee (season 2)
- Shailyn Pierre-Dixon as Frances (recurring season 1, main season 2)
- Jordan Todosey as Tracey (recurring season 1, main season 2)
- Rosemary Dunsmore as Minister Miller (season 2)
- Pascal Langdale as Dexter Crane (season 2)
- Krystal Nausbaum as Amanda (season 1)
- Shailene Garnett as Ms. Symonds (season 1)
- Jim Watson as Pat
- Jesse Bostick as Felix
- Abigail Winter as Samantha
- Rebecca Liddiard as Hanna
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||6||May 21, 2015||June 25, 2015|
|2||6||June 30, 2016||August 4, 2016|
The series was originally set for a season of six one-hour episodes, co-produced and financed by City and Netflix as part of a collaboration deal. Starring role for McCurdy.
Production of season 1 Began on October 20, 2014. City aired exclusive preview of the year series During Their broadcast of the 57th Annual Grammy Awards , and the series premiered on May 21, 2015. 
Jesse Carere was promoted to managing director for season 2.  Production of season 2 began in January 2016, with six one-hour episodes as the first season.  The series shot though March 11, 2016, with two new characters, Lium (played by Steven Grayhm) and Renee (played by Mercedes Morris). 
Between the Lines
As an accompaniment to the show, a web series called Between the Lines has been released, featuring eight two-minute webisodes . The web series follows the character Amanda as she interviews students at Pretty Lake High as an assignment for the school’s yearbook. The series begins pre-outbreak, and continuous throughout the quarantine and ensuing chaos, taking an in-depth look at a different character each week. The first installment of the web series was posted on May 22, 2015, with new webisodes made available every week on CityTV.com, after each TV episode broadcasts.  The season 2 edition of the web series, a six-part video diary kept by Wiley and Adam, became available on June 23, 2016. 
In addition, season 2 includes an after-show web component called Inside Between , hosted by Jim Watson and live streaming (then remaining) on CityTV.com’s Between page, directly following each episode’s initial broadcast on City.
Per the collaboration deal, the series airs terrestrially on City,  and streams on Shomi in Canada and Netflix internationally.  It is the first series originating from Canada to air on Netflix from its inception. 
Episodes air on a week by week on City, on Thursdays at 8 PM Eastern Time. During season 1, they were later added on week by week basis on Netflix, for international viewing at 11:30 PM Eastern.  Season 1 was added to Netflix’s Canadian service one year after its Shomi debut.  For season 2, all six episodes were released on Netflix on July 1st, 2016, outside of Canada.
Between ‘ s season 1 ratings on City pulled a combined 3.2 million viewers, reaching roughly 10% of the Canadian population. The show performed at 31% in the desirable 18-34 age demographic. 
Brian Lowry of Variety called Between “an utterly ho-hum addition to Netflix’s original lineup”.  Keith Uhlich of The Hollywood Reporter wrote, “It’s the end of the world as they know it, and viewers will not care.”  Mike Hale of the New York Times called it a “familiar ensemble soap opera with conspiracy-theory embroidery”.  Mary McNamara of the Los Angeles Times wrote, “The town is lovely, the premise solid if overfamiliar, but the script lacks both depth and tension, and McCurdy is one of the few cast members who can act. ”  Kevin P. Sullivan of Entertainment Weekly rated it C- and criticized the show’s writing.  Joshua Alston of The AV Club rated it C + and wrote that the series lacks a compelling hook. 
- Television in Canada portal
- Jump up^ “Netflix Teams With Canada’s City and Shomi on Deadly Disease Drama ‘Between'”. The Wrap , October 20, 2014.
- Jump up^ “Touring Toronto: On Location With ‘Between’ Star Jennette McCurdy”. Yahoo! TV , January 23, 2015.
- Jump up^ Denise Petski (July 8, 2015). “‘Between’ Returning For Season 2 On Netflix” . Deadline Hollywood .
- Jump up^ Laura Prudom. “OITNB Season 3 Premiere Set for June, Wet Hot American Summer in July – Variety” . Variety .
- Jump up^ Canada Media Fund. “Conference at MIPCOM 2015 with Managed Director of Between” . Twitter.
- Jump up^ “Rogers Media TV Access” . Rogers Media Inc.
- Jump up^ Etan Vlessing (January 13, 2016). “Steven Grayhm, Mercedes Morris Join Jennette McCurdy in Drama ‘Between ‘ ” . The Hollywood Reporter .
- Jump up^ “Rogers Media TV Access” . Rogers Media Inc.
- Jump up^ k. Ip, j.leung – copyright 2008 – Rogers Media Inc. “Rogers Media TV Access” . Rogersmediatv.ca . Retrieved 2017-03-09 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Canadian drama series to debut on ‘shomi’ streaming service” . Global News , October 20, 2014.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Netflix, Rogers’ Shomi to partner on dramatic series” . The Globe and Mail , October 20, 2014.
- Jump up^ Casey Rackham (May 21, 2015). “Jennette McCurdy’s grown-up Netflix drama ‘Between’ not for binge-watching – Zap2it – News & Features” . Zap2it .
- Jump up^ “The allure of escapism: Canadian sci-fi TV series know success” (Press release). Canada Media Fund.
- Jump up^ Lowry, Brian (May 12, 2015). “TV Review: Netflix’s ‘Between ‘ “. Variety . Retrieved August 11, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Uhlich, Keith (May 19, 2015). “The Bottom Line” . The Hollywood Reporter . Retrieved August 11, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Hale, Mike (May 19, 2015). “Review: Netflix’s ‘Between’ Puts a Polite Damper on Growing Old” . The New York Times . Retrieved August 11, 2015 .
- Jump up^ McNamara, Mary (May 21, 2015). “Review There’s no growing old in the YA thriller ‘Between ‘ ” . Los Angeles Times . Retrieved August 11, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Sullivan, Kevin P. (May 20, 2015). “Between: EW reviews Netflix’s new dystopian drama” . Entertainment Weekly . Retrieved August 11, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Alston, Joshua (May 20, 2015). “Netflix’s sci-fi drama Between makes a risky bid for the YA audience” . The AV Club . Retrieved August 11, 2015 .