Lady Dynamite is an American comedy series created by Pam Brady and Mitch Hurwitz on Netflix .  The series stars Maria Bamford , and is loosely based on her life. The twelve-episode first season icts Entirety Was released in on May 20, 2016. The series Was Renewed for a second season, along with other Several Netflix Originals , on July 27, 2016.  
Stand-up comedian / actor Maria Bamford (portrayed by herself ) moves back to Los Angeles after-spending six months away in recovery for bipolar disorder and Attempts to build up her life from scratch with the help of her agent Bruce Ben Bacharach ( Fred Melamed ). Throughout the entire first season, flashbacks are employed to gain an insight on Maria’s backstory and her relationships with her family and friends.
- Maria Bamford as Maria Bamford, has a fictionalized version of herself.
- Fred Melamed as Bruce Ben-Bacharach, Maria’s manager.
- Mary Kay Place as Marilyn Bamford, Maria’s mother.
- Ana Gasteyer as Karen Grisham, Maria’s agent.
- Ed Begley Jr. as Joel Bamford, Maria’s father.
- Lennon Parham as Larissa, Maria’s friend.
- Bridget Everett as Dagmar, Maria’s friend.
- Mo Collins as Susan Beeber, Maria’s childhood friend.
- Dean Cain as Graham, Maria’s ex-fiancé.
- June Diane Raphael as Karen Grisham, Maria’s realtor.
- Jenny Slate as Karen Grisham, Maria’s life coach.
- Ólafur Darri Ólafsson as Scott, Maria’s boyfriend.
- Yimmy Yim as Chantrelle, Bruce’s assistant.
- Kyle McCulloch as the voice of Bert, Maria’s dog.
Guest stars   
- Stephnie Weir
- Sarah Silverman
- Tig Notaro
- Adam Pally
- Patton Oswalt
- Brian Posehn
- Jackie Kashian
- Esther Povitsky
- John Mulaney
- John Ridley
- Mark McGrath
- Mira Sorvino
- Brandon Routh
- Wendie Malick
- Missi Pyle
- Seth Meyers
- Judd Apatow
- Annie Mumolo
- Joanna Cassidy
- Kerri Kenney
- Jason Mantzoukas
- Jon Cryer
- Justin Tinucci
- Adrian Zmed
Concept and development
“What I hope people get from [the show] is that by losing everything, it’s possible to become something better. Losing some of my ambition, it made it so I can have relationships and a better life.
Bamford explaining the series for Vulture.com 
 Mitch Hurwitz approached Maria Bamford and asked her for a series for a series, reported in 2013.  Part of the pitch was telling a story about a mental breakdown . The project was no more than talks for years. Later, Hurwitz attached Pam Brady to the project to write and direct. Bamford described this process as “extremely slow”. 
The use of nonlinear narrative in the show was part of Bamford’s pitch. It is used to portray the different mental states people can go through, and also how they overcome it. In that way, the show’s flashbacks serve as “a reminder of that journey.”  Bamford describes the show’s narrative structure as ” Bloodline , with me.”
Bamford, who is a stand-up comedian, decided not to use stand-up comedy as a device in her show. When asked about her decision, she explained: “I do not know what to say, but I do not know what to do.  This decision is depicted in the pilot episode of the series.
Maria Bamford was involved in the writing process, but she did not write any episode herself. In spite of the show being based on Bamford’s real life, the writers had freedom to modify her experiences for creative purposes. For example, in the pilot episode, Maria puts a bench in front of her house in an effort to promote a sense of community in her neighborhood. This idea came from Bamford’s real life.
Even though she did not take a hands-on approach in writing the series, she was in the writers’ room often, to discuss ideas and “hang out” with the writers.  Writing credits include Kyle McCulloch , former South Parkwriter, and Jen Statsky , form Parks and Recreation and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon writer. 
Former Arrested Development collaborators Max Winkler and Andrew Fleming directed episodes for Lady Dynamite . Rob Cohen ( The Fast and the Furious ), Academy award winner Jessica Yu and Ryan McFaul also directed episodes.
|No.||title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||“Pilot”||Mitch Hurwitz||Pam Brady & Mitch Hurwitz||May 20, 2016|
|Jumping back into LA life after six months away, Maria hatches a brilliant plan to meet her neighbors and get back into Mark McGrath’s graces.|
|2||“Bisexual Because of Meth”||Andrew Fleming||Theresa Mulligan Rosenthal||May 20, 2016|
|Maria Weighs an offer to star in a wacky ramen ad and embarks was confusing new romance with a Recovering meth addict.|
|3||“White Trash”||Daniel Gray Longino||Kyle McCulloch||May 20, 2016|
|Worried she may be an unwitting racist, Maria seeks out a support group and fights for a starcaster starring the Lucas Brothers and Mira Sorvino .|
|4||“Jack and Diane”||Bill Benz||Matt Ross & Max Searle||May 20, 2016|
|When Maria slips into a sultry voice at a party, a handsome stranger ( Brandon Routh ) falls under her spell and brings out her worst people-pleaser tendencies.|
|5||“I Love You”||Robert Cohen||Jen Statsky||May 20, 2016|
|Maria struggles to keep up with a sporty new beautiful. But before she can break it off, the relationship takes a startling turn.|
|6||“Loaf Coach”||Andrew Fleming||Theresa Mulligan Rosenthal||May 20, 2016|
|After a long history of over-committing, Maria hires a “loaf coach” to help her master the art of doing nothing. But her timing could not be worried as she receives an audition for a Judd Apatow film.|
|7||“Josue”||Max Winkler||Kyle McCulloch||May 20, 2016|
|Maria brings on to know her to give her children a favor.|
|8||“A Vaginismus Miracle”||Robert Cohen||Jen Statsky||May 20, 2016|
|Maria’s first audition in months leads to fireworks on the Fox lot. Later, she races to have sex before her annual deadline.|
|9||“No Friend Left Behind”||Ben Berman||Theresa Mulligan Rosenthal||May 20, 2016|
|Fearing she’s ruined all her relationships, Maria seeks out a bitter form friend and vows to win her back by any means necessary.|
|10||“Knife Feelings”||Ryan McFaul||Matt Ross & Max Searle||May 20, 2016|
|Maria braves a romantic hurdle by inviting Scott to her tell-all stand-up show. But she does not count on him having some dark secrets of his own.|
|11||“Mein Ramp”||Jessica Yu||Pam Brady||May 20, 2016|
|Maria is mortified to learn she’s trending on YouTube for being the face of a child soldier army. In a flashback, she faces a difficult choice: her meds or her career.|
|12||“Enter the Super Grisham”||Max Winkler||Pam Brady||May 20, 2016|
|While Scott tries to figure out what went wrong, Maria throws herself into her work. In the past, a checklist gig finally pushes her over the edge.|
|1||94% (31 reviews) ||85% (15 reviews) |
The first season of Lady Dynamite has received widespread acclaim from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes , it has a rating of 94%, based on 31 reviews, with an average rating of 8.2 / 10. The site’s critical consensus reads, “Maria Bamford’s Lady Dynamite is a vibrant, subversive, sweet, meta-fictional ride – but also a courageous, boundary-busting and ultimately deep portrayal of a troubled psyche.”  On Metacritic , the season has a score of 85 out of 100, based on 15 reviews, indicating “universal acclaim”.  The show has garnered attention because of its depiction of mental illness.     
The New York Times, “The New York Times, ” “ The New York Times, ” “ The New York Times ” Fantasy and emerges with something real. ”  About the show’s style, The New York Times Noted That “The show’s creators, Pam Brady ( South Park ) and Mitch Hurwitz ( Arrested Development )-have constructed a multipurpose fun house; we jump about in time and flit from meta- Show to memoir to hallucination. ” 
Variety described Bamford’s performance saying that “the actress and comedian, whose presence has been rarely used as much as it is here, manages the neat trick of being both believably guileless and winningly sharp.”  Variety aussi Praised the show’s guest stars, Stating: “the Entire show gains a great deal of energy from a varied array of game guest actors, Including Mira Sorvino , Patton Oswalt , Ana Gasteyer , Brandon Routh , and Bridget Everett , G. Bamford’s playfully serious orbit. ”
Critics have compared the series to Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt , Community , Review and BoJack Horseman because of the way it uses meta-humor , absurdist humor and how it deals with mental health .  
|21st Satellite Awards|
|Best Musical or Comedy Series||Nominated|
|2016 IGN Awards|
|Best New Series||Nominated|
- Jump up^ “Netflix Orders Maria Bamford Comedy Series From Mitch Hurwitz & Pam Brady” . Deadline. June 19, 2015 . Retrieved June 22, 2015 .
- Jump up^ http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/netflix-renews-chelsea-lady-dynamite-jennifer-garner-real-rob-1201824740/
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Maria Bamford Announces ‘Lady Dynamite’ Premiere Date – With A Little Help” . Deadline. February 23, 2016 . Retrieved February 23, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Maria Bamford announces first date for new Netflix series” . Entertainment Weekly. February 23, 2016 . Retrieved February 23, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Maria Bamford’s Netflix Show ‘Lady Dynamite’ Premieres on May 20th” . e. February 23, 2016 . Retrieved February 23, 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f Fox, Jesse David (May 20, 2016). “Maria Bamford Walks You Through Lady Dynamite, Her Mitch Hurwitz-Produced New Show” . Vulture . Retrieved August 7, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Peyser, Eve (31 August 2015). “Jen Statsky on the art of the one-liner, writing for late night, and comedy with ‘heart ‘ ” . The Daily Dot . Retrieved 8 August 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Lady Dynamite: Season 1 (2016)” . Rotten Tomatoes . Retrieved May 21, 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Lady Dynamite: Season 1 reviews” . Metacritic . Retrieved May 21, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “The Biphobia In ‘Lady Dynamite’ Is The Only Thing Holding It Back From Perfection” . The Frisky . July 11, 2016 . Retrieved August 7, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Clausen, Evelyn Anne (June 23, 2016). “We’ve Never Had a TV Depiction of Mental Illness Quite Like Lady Dynamite” . Slate Magazine . Retrieved August 7, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Syme, Rachel (2016-05-31). “Maria Bamford Mines Mental Illness for Her Sitcom, ‘Lady Dynamite'” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2016-08-09 .
- Jump up^ “How ‘Lady Dynamite’ Helps Fans Cope With Mental Illness” . Vocativ . 2016-07-02 . Retrieved 2016-08-09 .
- Jump up^ Kang, Inkoo (2016-05-24). “Lady Dynamite: Maria Bamford Tries To Blow Up The Sitcom For Netflix”. MTV News . Retrieved 2016-08-09 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Poniewozik, James (May 18, 2016). “Review: ‘Lady Dynamite’ Finds Surreal Humor in Mental Illness” . The New York Times . Retrieved August 6, 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Ryan, Maureen (May 17, 2016). “TV Review: ‘Lady Dynamite ‘ ” . Variety . Retrieved August 6,2016 .
- Jump up^ Saunders, Tristram Fane (May 25, 2016). “Lady Dynamite, Netflix, review: ‘the world is finally ready for Maria Bamford ‘ ” . The Telegraph . Retrieved August 6, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Kilday, Gregg (November 29, 2016). “Satellite Awards Nominees Revealed” . The Hollywood Reporter . Retrieved November 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “TV” . IGN . January 28, 2016.