Grace and Frankie is an American comedy-drama web television series created by Marta Kauffman and Howard J. Morris for Netflix . The series stars Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin in the title roles of Grace and Frankie, two unlikely friends who have come together after their husbands announce that they are in love and plan to get married. Sam Waterston , Martin Sheen , Brooklyn Decker , Ethan Embry , June Diane Raphael , and Baron Vaughn co-star in supporting roles. It premiered on Netflix on May 8, 2015, with all 13 episodes of the first season released simultaneously.
DESPITE mixed reviews upon icts beginning, the series Was places with a more positive critical reception Towards icts later seasons and HAS RECEIVED Several appointments Including two Primetime Emmy Award nominations for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series and a Golden Globe Awardnomination for Best Actress – Television Series Musical or Comedy -both for Tomlin’s performances.
On April 12, 2017, Netflix renewed the series for a fourth season, set to premiere in 2018.
The series follows Grace, a retired cosmetics mogul, and Frankie, a hippie art teacher, whose husbands, Robert and Sol, are successful divorce lawyers in San Diego . Grace and Frankie ‘s lives are turned upside down when Robert and Sol announce that they are in love with each other and are leaving their wives. Now, the women, who have never been particularly liked each other, are forced to live together and learn to unite and cope with difficulties.
- Jane Fonda as Grace Hanson, a retired cosmetics mogul
- Lily Tomlin as Frances “Frankie” Bergstein (born Mengela), a hippie art teacher
- Martin Sheen as Robert Hanson, a successful divorce lawyer and Grace’s husband who later becomes Sol’s husband
- Sam Waterston as Sol Bergstein, a successful divorce lawyer and Frankie’s husband who later becomes Robert’s husband
- Brooklyn Decker as Mallory Hanson, younger daughter of Grace and Robert, and a housewife with four children
- Ethan Embry as Coyote Bergstein, adopted son of Frankie and Sol, substitute teacher and recovering addict
- June Diane Raphael as Brianna Hanson, daughter of Grace and Robert, Grace and Robert
- Baron Vaughn as Nwabudike “Bud” Bergstein, adopted his of Frankie and Sol, and also a lawyer
- Geoff Stults as Mitch, Mallory’s husband of more than seven years and a doctor. (Seasons 1, 3)
- Timothy V. Murphy as Byron, one of Frankie’s ex-convict students and Grace’s love interest. (Season 1)
- Craig T. Nelson as Guy, Robert’s adventurous college friend and Grace’s love interest. (Season 1)
- Ernie Hudson as Jacob, Frankie’s love interest.
- Peter Cambor as Barry, one of Brianna’s employees and her love interest.
- Tim Bagley as Peter, one of Robert and Sol’s friends and Jeff’s partner.
- Sam Elliott as Phil Milstein, Grace’s love interest. (Season 2)
- Lindsey Kraft as Allison, Bud’s love interest with an eccentric personality even by the Bergsteins’ standards. (Season 3-present)
- Mary Kay Place as Amanda, one of Frankie and Sol’s oldest friends.
- Joe Morton as Jason, one of Frankie and Sol’s oldest friends.
- Christine Lahti as Lydia Foster, Robert’s sister and a close friend of Grace.
- Corbin Bernsen as Dr. Paul Mason, Grace’s doctor and her love interest.
- Brian Benben as Charlie, Grace’s Internet date.
- Nicholas D’Agosto as Dutch, Brianna’s love interest.
- Michael Gross as Jeff, one of Robert and Sol’s friends and Peter’s partner.
- Nora Dunn as Dr. Rossmore, Robert’s doctor.
- Rita Moreno as Lucy Chambers, Robert and Sol’s neighbor.
- Jai Rodriguez as Jojo, Robert’s hospital nurse.
- Conchata Ferrell as Grandma Jean, Mallory’s mother in law.
- Swoosie Kurtz as Janet, one of Grace’s close friends.
- Marsha Mason as Arlene, one of Grace’s close friends.
- Carrie Preston as Krystle, Coyote’s birth mother.
- Estelle Parsons as Babe, an old friend of both Grace and Frankie.
- Amy Madigan as Elaine Milstein, Phil’s wife.
- Lois Smith as Barbara Hanson, Robert’s mother.
- Millicent Martin as Joan Margaret, Sol’s very wise receptionist.
- Wendie Malick as Mimi Becker, Grace’s longtime business colleague.
- Peter Gallagher as Nick, Grace and Frankie’s business rival and Grace’s potential love interest.
- Natalie Morales as Mellisa, Frankie’s EMT .
- Ed Begley Jr. as Mark, Frankie’s doctor.
- Kevin Chamberlin as Frank, a protestor who gets caught up with.
|1||13||May 8, 2015|
|2||13||May 6, 2016|
|3||13||March 24, 2017|
Production and development
In March 2014, Netflix finalized a deal for a 13-episode straight-to-series order for Grace and Frankie , with Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin attached to star in the lead roles. The series was written and created by Marta Kauffman and Howard J. Morris, who also served as executive producers alongside Fonda, Tomlin, Paula Weinstein and Tate Taylor , and Skydance Productions , Dana Goldberg, David Ellison and Marcy Ross. 
On May 26, 2015, Netflix renewed the series for a second season  which premiered on May 6, 2016. 
On December 10, 2015, the series was renewed for a third season  which premiered on March 24, 2017. 
On April 12, 2017, the series was renewed for a fourth season, set to premiere in sometime 2018. 
Casting announcements began in June 2014, with Martin Sheen cast in the role of Robert, Grace’s husband.  The following month, Sam Waterston was cast in the role of Sol, Frankie’s husband.  June Diane Raphaeland Baron Vaughn were then added to the cast, with Raphael cast in the role of Brianna, Grace and Robert’s elder daughter, who rebels against Grace’s decorum. Vaughn signed on the role of Nwabudike, Frankie and Sol’s son, who was adopted from Uganda at a young age.  Shortly afterwards, Ethan Embry and Brooklyn Decker were cast in the remaining roles on the series. Embry joined in the role of Coyote, Frankie and Sol’s recovering drug addicted sound (also adopted), while Decker signed on the role of Mallory, Grace and Robert’s younger daughter.  In October 2015, it was announced Sam Elliott would appear in the second season as Grace’s love interest.  In April 2017, it was reported that Lisa Kudrow will appear in the fourth season as Sheree, Grace’s Manicurist.  It was Reported That Lisa Kudrow will APPEAR in the fourth season as Sheree, Grace’s manicurist.  It was Reported That Lisa Kudrow will APPEAR in the fourth season as Sheree, Grace’s manicurist. 
Production is season one of Grace and Frankie Began in Los Angeles, California , in early August 2014 and ended in late November.  Production on season two of the series began in July 2015, and ended in November the same year.  
The first season of Grace and Frankie received mixed reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes it has a rating of 50%, based on 32 reviews, with an average rating of 6.2 / 10. The site’s critical consensus reads, ” Grace and Frankie’s stellar cast adds an undeniable appeal, though its sloppy dialogue and clichéd sitcom setup will leave most viewers wanting.”  On Metacritic the season has a score of 58 out of 100, based on 27 critics, indicating “mixed or average reviews”. 
The second season received more positive feedback from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, it has a rating of 89%, based on 9 reviews, with an average rating of 7.2 / 10.  On Metacritic, the season has a score of 62 out of 100, based on 6 critics, indicating “generally favorable reviews”.  Jasef Wisener of TVOvermind gave the second season a 4.5 / 5, calling it “heartfelt and hilarious” and “a huge improvement over the sometimes sluggish first season.” 
The third season received critical acclaim. On Rotten Tomatoes, it has a rating of 100%, based on 5 reviews, with an average rating of 7.5 / 10. 
- Season 1
|67th Primetime Emmy Awards|
|Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series||Lily Tomlin||Nominated|
|20th Satellite Awards|
|Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy Series||Lily Tomlin||Nominated|
|73rd Golden Globe Awards|
|Best Actress – Television Series Musical or Comedy||Lily Tomlin||Nominated|
|2015 Dorian Awards|
|TV Comedy of the Year||Nominated|
|TV Performance of the Year – Actress||Jane Fonda||Nominated|
|LBGTQ TV Show of the Year||Nominated|
|27th GLAAD Media Awards|
|Outstanding Comedy Series||Nominated|
- Season 2
|68th Primetime Emmy Awards|
|Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series||Lily Tomlin||Nominated|
|68th Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards|
|Outstanding Costumes for a Contemporary Series||Allyson B. Fanger
|23rd Screen Actors Guild Awards|
|Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series||Jane Fonda||Nominated|
|Costume Designers Guild Awards|
|Outstanding Contemporary Television Series||Allyson B. Fanger||Nominated|
|28th GLAAD Media Awards|
|Outstanding Comedy Series||Grace and Frankie||Nominated|
After the show’s release, Tomlin and Fonda expressed displeasure once it became public that their salaries were equal to those of Sheen and Waterston, even though the show was ‘Sol and Robert’, it’s Grace and Frankie. Words of Lily Tomlin,  and contended this constituted a significant pay inequity. Shortly thereafter, Sheen and Waterston went on the record to support their co-stars’ demands for a salary increase, with Waterston being quoted as saying: “I think they’re being cheated.”  After fans of the show gathered nearly 200,000 signatures on a petition protesting the disparity, the two actresses issued a public statement backing away from criticism, saying: This just reminds us to be mindful of how things come across in interviews. Fonda and Tomlin made , and we have a lot to do with this. ”  Fonda and Tomlin made a statement to The Wrap That They Were never unhappy with the employees to start with and That They had “made a joke in an interview about our employees, qui was taken out of context.”   The Wrap-up of a Waiting for a Waiting for a Woman Who Wants to Be a Woman   The Wrap-up of a Waiting for a Waiting for a Woman Who Wants to Be a Woman 
- Jump up^ “Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin Back Together Again in” Grace and Frankie, “A New Original Comedy Series on Netflix” . The Futon Critic . March 19, 2014 . Retrieved August 30, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “‘Grace And Frankie’ Renewed For Season 2 By Netflix” . Deadline.com . May 26, 2015 . Retrieved May 19, 2015 .
- Jump up^ from Moraes, Lisa (January 17, 2016). “Netflix Unveils Premiere Dates For ‘Orange Is The New Black,’ ‘The Get Down,’ ‘Flaked’ And Others’ . Deadline.com . Retrieved January 17, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Wagmeister, Elizabeth (December 10, 2015). “Netflix Renews ‘Grace and Frankie’ for Season 3” . Variety.com . Retrieved January 12, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Petski, Denise (February 8, 2017). “‘Grace And Frankie’ Gets Season 3 Premiere Date On Netflix & Teaser” . Deadline .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Otterson, Joe (April 12, 2017). “‘Grace and Frankie’ Renewed for Season 4 at Netflix, Adds Lisa Kudrow” . Variety.com . Retrieved April 30, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Ng, Philiana; Goldberg, Lesley (June 18, 2014). “Martin Sheen to Star in Netflix’s Jane Fonda-Lily Tomlin Comedy (Exclusive)” . The Hollywood Reporter . Retrieved August 30, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Thomas, Kaitlin (July 7, 2014). “Sam Waterston and Jane Fonda Reunite for Netflix’s Grace and Frankie” . TV Guide . Retrieved August 30, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “June Diane Raphael & Baron Vaughn Join Netflix Comedy ‘Grace & Frankie ‘ ” . Deadline.com . July 17, 2014 . Retrieved August 30, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Development Update: Tuesday, July 29” . The Futon Critic. July 29, 2014 . Retrieved August 30, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Fonda, Jane (October 19, 2015). “Grace & Frankie nearing end of Season 2” . JaneFonda.com . Retrieved January 12, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Starting the New Series, Grace & Frankie , with Lily Tomlin, Martin Sheen & Sam Waterston” . JaneFonda.com. August 17, 2014 . Retrieved August 30, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Gearing Up for Grace and Frankie Season II” . JaneFonda.com. July 2, 2015 . Retrieved January 12, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Last day on Season II of Grace & Frankie” . JaneFonda.com. November 13, 2015 . Retrieved January 12, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Grace and Frankie: Season 1 (2015)” . Rotten Tomatoes . Retrieved July 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Grace and Frankie: Season 1 reviews” . Metacritic . Retrieved July 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Grace and Frankie: Season 2 (2016)” . Rotten Tomatoes . Retrieved May 7, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Grace and Frankie: Season 2 reviews” . Metacritic . Retrieved May 7, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Wisener, Jasef (May 18, 2016). “Grace and Frankie Season 2 Review” . TVOvermind . Retrieved June 13, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Grace and Frankie: Season 3 (2017)” . Rotten Tomatoes . Retrieved April 16, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Emmy Awards 2015: The complete winners list” . CNN.com . September 21, 2015 . Retrieved September 22, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Satellite Awards (2015)” . International Press Academy . IPA . December 2, 2015. pressacademy.com . Retrieved December 2,2015 .
- Jump up^ Lang, Brent (December 10, 2015). “2016 Golden Globes: Lady Gaga, Transparent and Orange is the New Black Leads the Race” . Variety . Retrieved 2015-12-27 .
- Jump up^ “GALECA 2015/16 DORIAN AWARDS” . GALECA . 2016.
- Jump up^ “2016/01/2016-glaad-media-award-nominations” . Vulture.com. Retrieved 2016-01-27 .
- Jump up^ “Anthony Anderson and Lauren Graham to Announce Emmy Nominations” . Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. June 21, 2016 . Retrieved June 25, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Nominations for the 68th Primetime Emmy Awards” . Los Angeles Times . July 14, 2016 . Retrieved July 15, 2016 .
- Jump up^ http://variety.com/2016/film/news/2017-sag-awards-nominations-nominees-list-1201941897/
- Jump up^ “Outstanding Contemporary TV Series” . Costumedesignersguild.com . Retrieved 18 February 2017 .
- Jump up^ “GLAAD Media Awards Nominees #glaadawards” . GLAAD . Retrieved 9 April 2017 .
- Jump up^ Kang, Inkoo. “Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin Go Public About Their Unfair ‘Grace and Frankie’ Paychecks” . Women and Hollywood. Indiewire.com . Retrieved June 10, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Vanmetre, Elizabeth (May 11, 2015). “Martin Sheen, Sam Waterston agrees ‘Grace and Frankie’ stars Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin deserve pay raise . New York Daily News . Retrieved June 10, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Gennis, Sadie. “Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin Say They’re Okay with Grace and Frankie Gender Pay Disparity” . TV Guide. CBS Interactive Inc . Retrieved June 10, 2015 .