One Day at a Time is a Netflix original sitcom loosely based on the 1975-84 Norman Lear series of the same name .  The series is written by Gloria Calderon Kellett andMike Royce and consists of thirteen episodes.  Justin Machado , Todd Grinnell , Isabella Gomez , Marcel Ruiz, Stephen Tobolowsky and Rita Moreno star in the series, with Pam Fryman directing the pilot episode.    It was released on January 6, 2017.  On March 4, 2017, The series was renewed by Netflix for a second season. 
Penelope Alvarez ( Justina Machado ), a newly single Army Nursing Corps  is a young woman who has been married to Elena ( Isabella Gomez ) and Alex (Marcel Ruiz) with the support of her colorful Cuban mother, Lydia ( Rita Moreno ). She is currently a nurse for Dr. Leslie Berkowitz ( Stephen Tobolowsky ),  who provides her with a regular shift so she can return home to her loving family at the end of the day. However, being back for Penelope has a lot of unresolved issues from her time in the Army. She has not been in contact with her husband, Victor Alvarez ( James Martinez ), who is also an Army veteran. He is an alcoholic with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and a Traumatic Brain Injury, that is working for a private contractor in Afghanistan, which is what made Penelope leave him and choose to raise her children alone. 
- Justina Machado as Penelope Alvarez, the working mother of Elena and Alex who served in the army with her ex-husband and works as a nurse in Dr. Berkowitz’s office.
- Rita Moreno as Lydia Riera, a faithful Cuban, Penelope’s mother and grandmother of Elena and Alex.
- Isabella Gomez as Elena Alvarez, the activist daughter of Penelope
- Marcel Ruiz as Alex Alvarez, the vain son of Penelope.
- Todd Grinnell as Dwayne Schneider, the rich landlord of the building and a close friend of the family.
- Stephen Tobolowsky as Dr. Leslie Berkowitz, Penelope’s boss and Lydia’s love interest.
- Eric Nenninger as Scott
- Fiona Gubelmann as Lori
- Ariela Barer as Carmen
- Froy Gutierrez as Josh Flores
- Haneefah Wood as Jill Riley
- Mackenzie Phillips as Pam Valentine
- Judy Reyes as Ramona
- Cedric Yarbrough as Jerry
- Tony Plana as Berto
- James Martinez as Victor Alvarez
- Jay Hayden as Ben
|No.||title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||“This Is It”||Pamela Fryman||Gloria Calderon Kellett and Mike Royce||January 6, 2017|
|Penelope tries to convince her feminist daughter Elena to have a traditional quinceanera to celebrate her 15th birthday and to honor her Cuban roots. Meanwhile Alex is struggling and finding ways to be popular in school, so he begins to do a little shopping and buys expensive sneakers with Penelope’s credit card that he stole.|
|2||“Bobos and Mamitas”||Pamela Fryman||Becky Mann and Audra Sielaff||January 6, 2017|
|When Penelope and Elena complain about not being taken seriously as women at work and school, Lydia offers advice from an older generation. This episode teaches women that you should not be insecure about what you want to do in life.|
|3||“No Mass”||Phill Lewis||Sebastian Jones||January 6, 2017|
|When Lydia disappears after a heated argument with her daughter about religion, the smooth running of the household falls apart in her absence. Penelope does not realize that the only thing that is holding her up with work, home, and her kids is actually her mother and when her presence is gone, she realizes that her mother will always be right about a lot of things.|
|4||“A Snowman’s Tale”||Phill Lewis||Gloria Calderon Kellett and Mike Royce||January 6, 2017|
|Penelope suddenly finds herself back in the dating game after Schneider shows her how to use an online app for meeting people. She realizes, however, that she is not in a position to do so.|
|5||“Strays”||Phill Lewis||Peter Murrieta||January 6, 2017|
|Lydia grows suspicious of Elena and Carmen’s intense relationship. Penelope later discovers that the inseparable friends are keeping a big secret.|
|6||“The Death of Mrs. Resnick”||Victor Gonzalez||Andy Roth||January 6, 2017|
|When Penelope’s faithfulness cares for good, and she’s forced to trade in it, she’s a kindred spirit in the unlikeliest of places. She finds herself at crossroads though she is about to change her car, something truly magical happens to Penelope, something real.|
|7||“Hold, Please”||Victor Gonzalez||Dan Hernandez and Benji Samit||January 6, 2017|
|While navigating her way through an endless maze of red tape with Veterans Affairs to make a medical appointment, Penelope reaches her breaking point. Elena on the other hand has a bigger problem because it’s just said.|
|8||“One Lie at a Time”||Phill Lewis||Debby Wolfe||January 6, 2017|
|Penelope says she’s going to church, but each secretly goes elsewhere. Meanwhile, Elena tests an attraction, and soon discovers something more. Mackenzie Phillips (Julie from the original One Day at a Time) guest stars.|
|9||“Viva Cuba”||Jody Margolin Hahn||Michelle Badillo, Caroline Levich and Gloria Calderon Kellett||January 6, 2017|
|Elena gets a congratulatory letter that leaves a bitter taste in her mouth. For a school project, Alex interviews Lydia, who reveals a family secret that leaves Alex pondering about life and how there is more to it than trying to impress people.|
|10||“Sex Talk”||Michael Lembeck||Becky Mann and Audra Sielaff||January 6, 2017|
|When Penelope finds porn on Alex’s laptop, she struggles to talk to him about sex, but her reluctant conversation leads to a surprising discovery.|
|11||“Pride & Prejudice”||Linda Mendoza||Sebastian Jones and Andy Roth||January 6, 2017|
|Penelope feels weird about Elena’s revelation. Seeking advice, she makes an unexpected connection, and soon realizes what her daughter wants and what she needs to accept.|
|12||“Hurricane Victor”||Pamela Fryman||Dan Hernandez, Benji Samit and Peter Murrieta||January 6, 2017|
|Just when Penelope starts to date again, her estranged husband Victor makes a surprise visit home that rekindles old feelings between them. Penelope asks Victor as he’s changed and if he is ready to come to their lives,|
|13||“Quinces”||Pamela Fryman||Gloria Calderon Kellett and Mike Royce||January 6, 2017|
|Everyone pitches in to prepare for Elena’s quinceañera . While rehearsing their father-daughter dance, Elena reveals a truth about herself to her dad. At the occasion, instead of the attention being on the quinceañera, it was on something else.|
Theme song and opening credits
The theme song for One Day at a Time, is “This Is It” and it is sung by Gloria Estefan , who adds a Spanish twist to it. Jeff Barry, and his wife Nancy Barry, performed by recording artist Polly Cutter. 
On the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes , the first season has an approval rating of 96% based on 7.6 / 10. The site’s critical consensus reads, ” One Day at a Time breathes fresh life into the classic Norman Learwith a lively, sharp, and proudly old-school sitcom bolstered by a surfeit of heart and terrific performances from Rita Moreno and Justina Machado.” 
Robert Lloyd of the Los Angeles Times found the first season to be “lively without being rushed” thanks to the full 30 minute run time.  “The show is nicely written … and the performances [especially Moreno’s] are almost universally engaging,” according to David Wiegand of the San Francisco Chronicle .  The Newsday review by Verne Gay Much like Machado as “flat-out terrific” and calls the first season “congenial, good-hearted, easy going, sentimental, old-fashioned and surprisingly new-fashioned. (Or tired) beat of a multicamera sitcom. ” 
|NHMC Impact Awards||Outstanding Comedy Series||One Day at a Time||Won|
|Tell-Tale TV Awards||Favorite New Comedy or Musical Series||Won|
|Lead Actress in a Comedy or Musical||Justina Machado||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Show: Comedy||One Day at a Time||Pending|
- Jump up^ Andreeva, Nellie (February 22, 2016). “‘One Day At A Time’: Justina Machado To Play The Lead In Netflix Series Remake” . Deadline.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Netflix Orders ‘One Day At A Time’ Latino Remake Series Co-Starring Rita Moreno” . Deadline. January 1, 2016.
- Jump up^ Andreeva, Nellie (March 2, 2016). “‘One Day At a Time’: Stephen Tobolowsky Cast In Netflix Latino Family Remake” . Deadline.
- Jump up^ Andreeva, Nellie (April 19, 2016). “‘One Day At a Time’: Todd Grinnell Cast As Schneider In Netflix Series Remake” . Deadline.
- Jump up^ Andreeva, Nellie (February 5, 2016). “Pam Fryman Sets 3 Pilot Directing Gigs” . Deadline.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Mitovich, Matt Webb (July 27, 2016). “One Day at a Time Reboot Gets Premiere Date at Netflix” . TVLine . Retrieved December 18, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Andreeva, Nellie (March 4, 2016). “‘One Day At A Time’ Renewed For Season 2 By Netflix” . Deadline.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Norman Lear reboots ‘One Day at a Time’ for a new generation . Los Angeles Times . 2017-01-05. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2017-04-07 .
- Jump up^ “One Day at a Time: Season 1” . Rotten Tomatoes . Rotten Tomatoes. January 2017 . Retrieved January 8, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Lloyd, Robert (January 5, 2017). “Netflix reboot of ‘One Day at a Time’ is bighearted fun” . LA Times . Los Angeles Times . Retrieved January 8, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Wiegand, David (January 4, 2017). “Brand-new old-fashioned ‘Day’ on Netflix” . San Francisco Chronicle . San Francisco Chronicle . Retrieved January 8, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Gay, Verne (January 5, 2017). “Norman Lear almost – reboot a sentimental winner” . Newsday . Newsday . Retrieved January 8,2017 .
- Jump up^ “The 20th Annual Impact Awards Gala” . 2017.
- Jump up^ “Vote for Your Favorites! The 2017 Tell-Tale TV Awards: Comedy, Musical, and Reality Categories (Round One)” . 2017.
- Jump up^ Ceron, Ella (June 19, 2017). “Teen Choice Awards 2017: See the First Wave of Nominations” . Teen Vogue . Retrieved June 19, 2017 .