Burning Sands is a 2017 American drama film , directed by Gerard McMurray, from a screenplay by McMurray and Christine Berg. It stars Trevor Jackson , Alfre Woodard , Steve Harris , Tosin Cole , DeRon Horton and Trevante Rhodes .
The movie had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 24, 2017, before being released on March 10, 2017, by Netflix .
Five young men pledge Lambda Lambda Phi fraternity at the Historic Black University Frederick Douglas University. Student Zurich leads the pledge class as they endure big brother hazing on campus and at fraternity house at ups. The pledges balance their time in class with English professor Hughes and their new fraternity life of parties, sorority girls and dating. The pledge class learns the brotherhood mottos and bond together because of moral or physical hazing. Dean Richardson, a Lambda Phi alumnus, holds himself as an example of the fraternity system and extolls its virtues. He makes it possible to be told of pledge abuse but not far enough to break the fraternity code of silence and secrecy. One night the hazing goes too far and a big brother advises the pledge class to drop off the injured pledge at the emergency room but avoid the cameras. Despite the advice, the young neophyte fraternity brothers wait at the hospital crying. Zurich takes out his cell phone and calls his dad, and the movie ends.
- Trevor Jackson as Zurich
- Alfre Woodard as Professor Hughes
- Steve Harris as Dean Richardson
- Tosin Cole as Frank
- DeRon Horton as Square
- Mitchell Edwards as Stephon
- Christian Robinson as Big Country
- Trevante Rhodes as Fernander
- Malik Bazille as Dwight
- Jay Q Saun as Jay
- Octavius J Johnson as Ron
- Rotimi Akinosho as Edwin
- Serayah as Angel
- Nafessa Williams as Toya
- Imani Hakim as Rochon
- Adriyan Rae as Candy
- Racquel Bianca John as Joy
- Chiké Okonkwo as Breyton
In January 2016, Gerard McMurray would direct the film, from a screenplay by himself and Christine Berg, while Stephanie Allain , Jason Michael Berman of Mandalay Pictures, Reginald Hudlin and Mel Jones will serve as producers on the film alongside Netflix .  In January 2017, Common boarded the film as an executive producer and will contribute an original song to the film. 
The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 24, 2017.  It was released on March 10, 2017, by Netflix . 
Burning Sands received positive reviews from film critics. Rotten Tomatoes, based on 20 reviews, with an average score of 7.1 / 10. 
- Jump up^ Jafaar, Ali (January 20, 2016). “Netflix Expands Global Indie Strategy With Slate Of New Features” . Deadline.com . Retrieved January 24, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Patten, Dominic (January 20, 2017). “Common Joins Sundance Pic” Burning Sands’ EP, Will Contribute Original Song ” . Deadline.com . Retrieved January 20, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Patten, Dominic (December 5, 2016). “Sundance 2017: Robert Redford, New Rashida Jones Netflix Series, ‘Rebel In The Rye’ & More On Premiere, Docu, Midnight & Kids Slates . Deadline.com. Retrieved December 14, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Netflix Announces Slate of Original Films, Documentaries and Series at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival” . The Futon Critic . December 5, 2016 . Retrieved December 14, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Burning Sands” . Rotten Tomatoes . Retrieved April 2, 2017 .